Senior Principal Investigator (A*Star Institute of Medical Biology, Singapore); Professor of Tissue Regeneration (Edinburgh, visiting)
+65 6407 0695
- Nick obtained his PhD from Reading University, UK in 1996, before joining the group of Hans Clevers, Utrecht in the same year.
- In 2001, he joined Semaia Pharmaceuticals as a senior scientist developing small molecule inhibitors of the Tcf/β-catenin protein complex as candidate colon cancer therapeutics.
- In 2006, he rejoined Hans Clevers group as senior staff scientist, where he identified Lgr5 as a unique marker of adult stem cell populations in various epithelia.
- In 2010, Nick joined IMB as Senior Principal Investigator, where he focuses on the role of epithelial stem cells in tissue renewal and disease in various organs.
- Barker N (2014). Adult Intestinal Stem Cells: Critical Drivers of Epithelial Homeostasis and Regeneration. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 15:19
- Leushacke M, Ng A, Galle J, Loeffler M & Barker N (2013). Lgr5+ Gastric Stem Cells Divide Symmetrically to Effect Epithelial Homeostasis in the Pylorus. Cell Rep 5:349
- Barker N, de Lau W, Low TY, Koo BK, Li VS, Teunissen H, Kujala P, Haegebarth A, Peters PJ, van de Wetering M, Stange DE, van Es J, Guardavaccaro D, Schasfoort RB, Mohri Y, Nishimori K, Mohammed S, Heck AJ, Clevers H (2011). Lgr5 homologues associate with Wnt receptors and mediate R-spondin signalling. Nature, 476:293
- Barker N, Huch, M, Kujala P, van de Wetering M, Snippert HJ, van Es JH, Sato T, Stange DE, Begthel H, van den Born M, Danenberg E, van den Brink S, Korving J, Abo A, Peters PJ, Wright N, Poulsom, R and Clevers H (2010). Lgr5+ve Stem Cells Drive Self-Renewal in the Pyloric Stomach and Build Long-Lived Pyloric Gastric Units In-Vitro. Cell Stem Cell 6:25
- Barker N, Ridgway RA, van Es JH, van de Wetering M, Begthel H, van den Born M, Danenberg E, Clarke AR, Sansom OJ, and Clevers H. (2009). Crypt stem cells as the Cells-of-Origin of Intestinal Cancer. Nature, 457:608
- Barker N, van Es JH, Kuipers J, Kujala P, van den Born M, Cozijnsen M, Haegebarth A, Korving J, Begthel H, Peters PJ, Clevers H. (2007) Identification of stem cells in small intestine and colon by marker gene Lgr5. Nature 449:1003
Ex vivo culture of the intestinal epithelium: strategies and applications. Leushacke, Marc, and Barker Nick , Gut, 2014 May 19, (2014)
Lgr5(+) gastric stem cells divide symmetrically to effect epithelial homeostasis in the pylorus. Leushacke, Marc, Ng Annie, Galle Joerg, Loeffler Markus, and Barker Nick , Cell Rep, 2013 Oct 31, Volume 5, Issue 2, p.349-56, (2013)