Elaine Dzierzak received her Ph.D. in Immunology (1985) from Yale University and did postdoctoral training in gene therapy at the Whitehead Institute, MIT. She started her research laboratory at the National Institute for Medical Research (London, 1989), was appointed Professor of Developmental Biology at Erasmus Medical Center in 1996 and founding director of the Erasmus Stem Cell Institute (2008). She recently moved to the University of Edinburgh CIR and CRM. Her research interests are focused on understanding how adult hematopoietic stem cells are generated so as to identify and manipulate the molecular programs leading to their generation, maintenance and regeneration.
- de Pater, E., Kaimakis, P., Speck, N.A. and Dzierzak, E. (2013) Gata2 is required in hemogenic endothelium during emergence of definitive hematopoietic progenitors/stem cells and for the expansion of HSCs in fetal liver. J of Experimental Medicine. 210(13): 2843-2850.
- Yokomizo, T. and Dzierzak, E. (2010) Three-dimensional cartography of hematopoietic clusters in the vasculature of whole mouse embryos. Development. 137: 3651-3661.
- Robin, C., Bollerot, K., Mendes, S., Haak, E., Crisan, M. Ceresoli, F., Lauw, I., Kaimakis, P., Jorna, R., Vermeulen, M., Kayser, van der Linden, R., Imanirad, P. Versteegen, M., Nawaz-Yousaf, H., Papazian, N., Steegers, E., Cupedo, T. and Dzierzak E. (2009) Human placenta is a potent niche for haematopoietic stem and progenitor cells throughout development. Cell Stem Cell 5: 385-395.
- Dzierzak, E. and Speck, N.A. (2008) Of lineage and legacy: the development of mammalian hematopoietic stem cells. Nature Immunology 9 (2):129-136. Ottersbach, K. and Dzierzak, E. (2005) The murine placenta contains hematopoietic stem cells within the vascular labyrinth region. Developmental Cell 8: 377-387.
- De Bruijn, M.F.T.R., Ma, X., Robin, C., Ottersbach, K., Sanchez, M.-J. and Dzierzak, E. (2002) Hematopoietic stem cells localize to the endothelial cell layer in the midgestation mouse aorta. Immunity 16: 673-684.
- Medvinsky, A. and Dzierzak, E. (1996) Definitive hematopoiesis is autonomously initiated by the AGM region. Cell 86: 897-906.
- Dzierzak, E., Papayannopoulos, T. and Mulligan, R.C. (1988) Lineage-specific expression of a human ß-globin gene in bone marrow transplant recipients reconstituted with retrovirus-transduced stem cells. Nature 331: 35-41.