A problem that faces many people during imaging is the scattering of light through opaque or semi-opaque thick tissues by lipid membranes: the deeper you go, the less you see. A simple solution is to turn your sample transparent.
The X-Clarity system clears your biological sample in three steps:
- Hydrogel Infusion following fixation (24h)
- Tissue to hydrogel hybridisation (3h)
- Lipid removal in a designated cassette
The Facility offers the following cassettes for lipid removal:
- Very Large sample (two rat brain or several adult zebrafish). Well size: 35x53x20mm
- Large samples the size of a mouse brain. Well size: 16.8x16.8x20m
- 48 small samples, the size of a E11 mouse embryo. Well size: 6.5x6.5x10mm
- 192 small samples, the size of a 4 days old zebrafish embryo. Well size: 3x3x10mm
You are then free to stain your tissue appropriately.
Duration of lipid removal is sample dependent: the larger and more lipid rich, the longer it takes.
Clearing is paid by cassette and by clearing time (in hours).
1 hour clearing costs £26 with £2 increment per extra hour clearing time.
Send an e-mail to the Facility describing your samples, cost codes. Once your job is accepted, bring your sample to the Facility and we will clear them for you.
For optimal transparency, we recommend that you use the X-Clarity mounting medium which we supply at £120 per 25ml vial