- I am a neurosurgical registrar having completed 4 years of specialist training at the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham. I have been working as a doctor for the past seven years and now taking time out of programme to pursue my academic goals via a lab-based PhD.
- I have had a strong academic interest throughout the course of my training and I believe that this, in combination with clinical acumen, is essential towards not only developing new therapies, but also delivering state of the art treatment and care to patients.
- The area that I am looking to develop is within the field of regenerative medicine and in particular the use of human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) to treat neurodegenerative conditions including Parkinson’s disease.
- I was awarded a Wellcome Trust Research Training Fellowship to do my PhD with Dr Kunath and Prof Chandran at the MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine
- Dr Tilo Kunath’s team has developed human iPSC lines and robust differentiation protocols to make transplantable midbrain dopaminergic neurons. My work with Dr Kunath and Prof Siddharthan Chandran will centre on investigating and mitigating disease spread from host-to-graft in a rat model of Parkinson's.
- If successful, my research will improve the efficacy and safety of future cell-based therapies for Parkinson's patients. I would combine this experience with a fellowship in functional neurosurgery later in my career so that I would be in a position to perform such stem cell-based transplants for patients with Parkinson’s disease.
Referrals for suspected ventriculo-peritoneal shunt dysfunction and necessity for further imaging. Pujara, Shyam, Natalwala Ammar, and Robertson Iain , Br J Neurosurg, 2017 Mar 10, p.1-2, (2017)
Co-morbidities and mortality associated with intracranial bleeds and ischaemic stroke. Sangha, Jason, Natalwala Ammar, Mann Jake, Uppal Hardeep, Mummadi Sangha Mitra, Haque Amirul, Aziz Amir, and Potluri Rahul , Int J Neurosci, 2015 Apr, Volume 125, Issue 4, p.256-63, (2015)
Alzheimer's disease and co-morbidity: increased prevalence and possible risk factors of excess mortality in a naturalistic 7-year follow-up. Heun, R, Schoepf D, Potluri R, and Natalwala Ammar , Eur Psychiatry, 2013 Jan, Volume 28, Issue 1, p.40-8, (2013)
Cardiovascular Risk Profiles amongst Women in a Multiethnic Population in Inner City Britain: A Potential Impact of Anaemia. Chackathayil, Julia, Patel Jeetesh V., Gill Paramjit S., Potluri Rahul, Natalwala Ammar, Uppal Hardeep, Lavu Deepthi, Heun Reinhard, Hughes Elizabeth A., and Lip Gregory Y. H. , Int J Endocrinol, 2013, Volume 2013, p.303859, (2013)
The burden of cardiovascular disease amongst psychiatric patients. Carter, Paul, Mann Jake, Sangha Jason, Uppal Hardeep, Natalwala Ammar, Aziz Amir, Heun Reinhard, and Potluri Rahul , Int J Cardiol, 2013 Nov 15, Volume 169, Issue 4, p.e65-6, (2013)
Length of hospital stay is shorter in black and ethnic minority patients with diabetes. Kimani, K N., Potluri R, Natalwala Ammar, Ghosh S, Heun R, and Narendran P , Diabet Med, 2012 Jun, Volume 29, Issue 6, p.830-1, (2012)
Type-2 diabetes mellitus in schizophrenia: increased prevalence and major risk factor of excess mortality in a naturalistic 7-year follow-up. Schoepf, D, Potluri R, Uppal H, Natalwala Ammar, Narendran P, and Heun R , Eur Psychiatry, 2012 Jan, Volume 27, Issue 1, p.33-42, (2012)
Prevalence of mental health disorders among patients with Parkinson's disease in the United Kingdom. Potluri, Rahul, Natalwala Ammar, Nakajima Mitsuko, Lavu Deepthi, Velho Rochelle, Uppal Hardeep, and Heun Reinhard , J Clin Neurosci, 2011 Dec, Volume 18, Issue 12, p.1746-7, (2011)
Comparison of time taken from initial presentation to histological diagnosis of Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) in Birmingham, United Kingdom and Strasbourg, France. Natalwala, Ammar, Bharkhada Viren, Noel Georges, and Cruickshank Garth , Clin Neurol Neurosurg, 2011 Jun, Volume 113, Issue 5, p.358-61, (2011)
Apolipoprotein E allele 4 is not a sufficient or a necessary predictor of the development of Mild Cognitive Impairment. Heun, R, Gühne U, Luck T, Angermeyer M C., Ueberham U, Potluri R, Natalwala Ammar, Arendt T, and Riedel-Heller S G. , Eur Psychiatry, 2010 Jan, Volume 25, Issue 1, p.15-8, (2010)
Different risk factors in vascular dementia and ischaemic stroke. Potluri, Rahul, Natalwala Ammar, Uppal Hardeep, and Heun Reinhard , Neuroepidemiology, 2009, Volume 32, Issue 1, p.80, (2009)
Increasing prevalence of haemorrhagic stroke among South Asian patients in the United Kingdom from 1997 to 2005. Potluri, Rahul, and Natalwala Ammar , J Clin Neurosci, 2009 Apr, Volume 16, Issue 4, p.605-6, (2009)
Why do British undergraduates favour physicians' teaching compared to surgeons? Natalwala, Ammar, Gill Sukhpal S., Chaudhry Bilal, and Potluri Rahul , Med Teach, 2009 May, Volume 31, Issue 5, p.464, (2009)
Epidemiology of joint disorders in Parkinson's disease and their impact on health status. Natalwala, Ammar, Davies P, Buckley C D., Potluri R, and Clarke C E. , J Clin Neurosci, 2009 Oct, Volume 16, Issue 10, p.1382-3, (2009)
Secular trends in ovarian cancer admissions to a large general hospital during the period 2000-2007. Dowlut, M S., Natalwala Ammar, Uppal H, and Potluri R , Eur J Gynaecol Oncol, 2009, Volume 30, Issue 5, p.562, (2009)
Cardiovascular risk factors in vascular dementia and ischaemic stroke. Potluri, Rahul, Natalwala Ammar, Uppal Hardeep, and Heun Reinhard , Neuroepidemiology, 2008, Volume 31, Issue 1, p.67; discussion 68, (2008)
Epithelial-mesenchymal transition mediated tumourigenesis in the gastrointestinal tract. Natalwala, Ammar, Spychal Robert, and Tselepis Chris , World J Gastroenterol, 2008 Jun 28, Volume 14, Issue 24, p.3792-7, (2008)
Reasons for hospital admissions in dementia patients in Birmingham, UK, during 2002-2007. Natalwala, Ammar, Potluri Rahul, Uppal Hardeep, and Heun Reinhard , Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord, 2008, Volume 26, Issue 6, p.499-505, (2008)